The Palazzo Arcivescovile or Episcopio (Archbishop’s or Episcopy Palace) is the Archbishop’s residence and has been a Seminary since 1610. It is at the corner of Ronchi Street and San Triggiano Court. The features of today’s building – rectangular layout on three levels with two wings extending towards the catherdral – are the result of important structural and architectural work carried out between the 17th and 20th centuries. Its monumental Baroque façade overlooks a courtyard which is flanked on three sides by the building itself, the southerly façade of the cathedral and by other minor buildings, respectively. At the centre of the courtyard is the so-called “spire”, a monolithic granite column set on a high plinth and embellished from above by a life size statue of San Sabino, the first protector of the city. The façade was restored in Baroque style by the architect Domenico Antonio Vaccaro at the behest of Archbishop Muzio Gaeta Iuniore (1736 - 1754). A study of the elegant frontage reveals the clear difference between the first floor and the two floors above: restoration work during the 1960s saw the removal of 18th century stuccoes from the first floor. As a result, it is now possible to see the original Medieval structure, characterised by large, blank arches in Romanesque style and still covered on its side section. However, this is balanced out by a first floor terrace with a balustrade, punctuated by seven busts in white Carrara marble (from the original fourteen). This aspect enhances the monumental appearance of the entire building. On the upper floors, the 18th century stuccoes enrich the window frames. On the second floor, these are highly decorative, with winding features and large adornments; the third floor stuccoes are more sober and linear but reveal two delicate lateral spirals.
The first floor of the building is home to the Diocesan Museum, the most spectacular in the old town, founded in 1981. Its itinerary is divided into five rooms and offers the visitor an authentic journey of discovery through the development of the cathedral and the local ecclesiastical community. Of particular interest is the Exultet exhibit, remarkable miniature scrolls in parchment, used to celebrate the night of Easter, according to Byzantine liturgy.